Frequently Asked Questions

Attention: open in a new window. PDFPrintE-mail

Q: What is a Community Support and Information Centre?

Using the Citizens’ Advice Bureau (CAB) model established during World War II, Victorian CAB's reformed this to suit the Australian demographic. Community Information Centres specialise in information about local community services but have broadened their service delivery to include material emergency relief, other support services such as personal and employment counselling, financial counselling, advocacy and referral.

DVCS's services are free, confidential, impartial and respects the rights of individuals to make decisions for themselves.

Q: Are you part of the Council?

Most Community Information Centres are independent incorporated bodies with their own Committees of Management and management structures. DVCS falls into this category.  However, we are supported by funding by Banyule City Council and Nillumbik Shire Council so we can offer our free service to the people of Banyule and Nillumbik.

Q: Am I eligible for Emergency Relief (ER)?

To find out if you are eligible for Emergency Relief (ER) you need to be interviewed by one of our trained volunteers to see if you fit the criteria set by the Department of Family, Housing, Community Services and Indigenous Affairs (FaHCSIA). FaHCSIA sets boundaries for ER distribution. Currently some parts of Greensborough, Briar Hill, Bundoora, Lower Plenty, Macleod, Montmorency, St Helena, Watsonia and Yallambie fall in the DVCS boundaries.

The best way to find out if you are eligible is to come into the DVCS office.

Q: Can you give me some assistance?

This depends on what type of assistance you require. If you want material aid (Coles Gift Cards) or any other kind of emergency relief you will have to be interviewed by one of our Volunteers. The best way to find out if you are eligible is to come into the DVCS office.

Q: Can you help me pay my phone bill?

A: Yes, if you hold a Centrelink Card and require some financial assistance but only if you have a landline or mobile with Telstra.The best way to find out if you are eligible is to come into the DVCS office.

Q: How can I book a stall at the Kingsbury Drive Community Market?

If you c
lick on 'Community Market' top left of this screen you will find all the relevant information.

Q: Can you refer me to FoodShare?

A: If you hold a Centrelink Card and require assistance with food we can give you a FoodShare referral.

Q: How can I become a Volunteer?

 There is a six stage procedure in becoming a Volunteer in our organisation:

  • Read the information we send you
  • Interview
  • A 50-hour course
  • Mentoring
  • Assessment
  • Probation Period

Call us if you would like further information on (03) 9435 8282.

Q: Are all your staff Volunteers?

No, we have one full-time and some paid members of staff who work part-time or casual.

Q: How do I know that the information I am getting is correct?

Most of the information given out to clients by our Volunteers comes from an information database that is regularly updated. We try our hardest to ensure that the information we give out at the time is correct but occasionally things change without our knowledge.